Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rhodes

Of all the Greek ports, Rhodes was my favorite...I think...
The day was gray, but that just added to the appeal of the old walled city, and did nothing to dampen the spirit of the vendors or the tourists.
Dave and the little guys explored the outer walls


while the big kids and I worked our way through the old city.


I found a lady weaving a carpet. I always wondered how they were made because you hear about the number on knots per inch, but I could never see the knots. Well now I know...and it is pretty cool! Plus you get to weave with a knife in one hand. That might discourage interruptions.
This was my favorite part of the city--built in the 1300's when the Knights of Rhodes held power in the city.

The Colossus of Rhodes stood guard over the port until an earthquake sent it tumbling in the 2nd century BC and the remains were melted down and sold by the conquering Arabs in the 7th century.
We didn't miss it too much. The real appeal of Rhodes was the 4 euro RayBans.

2 comments:

Virgilicious said...

Sister Passey!!! This is Virginia Ingram, i just stumbled accross your blog. It looks like ya'll are having so many fun adventures!! i'm glad ya'll are enjoying belgium so much. i miss ya'll!

Heidi said...

I agree that Rhodes was the best stop in Greece. I totally missed out on the RayBans, though! Glad you guys made it home ok!!