Monday, October 4, 2010

A Little Martha Stewart

The last few weeks have been gray. And cold. And a bit misty. In other words, typically Belgian. At the football game on friday night, the ball kept shooting off in odd directions as the poor players slogged their way toward the end zone in a most persistent and determined drizzle. The rain looked somewhat whistful and romantic if you peered straight up into the lights, but that is about all I can say on it's behalf. It was cold...and wet. However, yesterday, when I pulled back the thick curtains in our bedroom, the most beautiful morning was hiding out there. I have become a firm believer in contrasts. If the last few weeks had been beautiful, then yesterday would have been nothing special. But it was spectacularly special. The light glided through the fall leaves and infused the air with energy. I felt the need to beautify. So I grabbed my kitchen shears, a charming basket, and took off down the street to the vacant lot--always ready to share it's bounty--and came home with a few fall offerings. I have to confess to reading a few design blogs and magazines lately, so it just seemed appropriate to photograph my gleanings in a want-to-be artistic fashion.
I grabbed a few flea market containers and started my very own kitchen renewal project. I really like photograpy because just looking at this picture, you would never know that there were ramen bits and dirty dishes and crumbs just inches away from this idealized creation. Aaaahhhh. I think Martha Stewart would approve. Not that I care for her approval. Is she even cool anymore? It is amazing what some sunshine and a few berries can do for the spirits.

P.S. Benjamin informed me approximately 30 minutes after this picture was taken that there were caterpillars crawling across my windowsill. Hhhhmmmm.

1 comment:

Grandma Betty said...

OK, another wonderfully creative blog posting. When are we starting on the book???!!! Love you all - xoxoxox