Tuesday, October 12, 2010

German Wine Country

Everybody needs a friend that will make you do things that you wouldn't ordinarily do. Meet Anita:Anita and her family have been in Belgium for over 20 years. She is incredibly fit and loves the outdoors. She is holding the 3euro tart that we devoured with our hands at the halfway point of our adventure on the Moselle.There is a bike path that hugs the Moselle river in Germany through some of the most beautiful wine country you'll ever want to see. Anita has ridden the whole route (3 days solid) and has been talking it up so much that we decided to give it a go...in abbreviated form.

So Antia, Isabel, and I strapped the bikes to the car, drove over the Belgian border just past Tier, hopped on our bikes, and enjoyed a most beautiful fall afternoon.


This region is know for it's vineyards and the grapes were ripe on the vine. We passed several work parties gleaning by hand, and this jolly gentleman wished us "Gute Fahrt."
Don' you just love linguistic humor?


As the most inexperienced biker of the lot and general whimp, I spent most of the time behind the group. It had it's advantages. I got great shots like this one--love the downhills...

And I sometimes got to ride with the senior citizen groups that were out and about on the trail. They usually passed me up too.


A nice German couple helped Isabel with her tire. I just had to include this picure for the outfit on Mr. Fixit: Biking shoes, black socks, plaid man-pri's, a plaid shirt in similar colorway but hmmm. I love it. Reminds me of Sarah's comment when we first arrived: "You can pretty much get away with wearing anything over here..."


What a fabulous day. And I am keenly reminded of the joys of a good bike trip each time I sit down. Thanks Anita!

1 comment:

Grandma Betty said...

What beautiful countryside and what a fun day with your friends. I'm afraid my backside would still be hurting after several weeks!