Friday, October 10, 2008

Brussels Flower Carpet

There is always something going on in the Grand Place. We have seen the trappings of concerts, flower markets, weddings, gigantic christmas trees, even a tennis match. However, the most famous Grand Place event is the bi-annual flower carpet. For three days only the square gives up most of it's space to a vast collection of begonia blossoms artfully arranged into a replica of a classic carpet pattern. The kids and I went down on Friday afternoon to watch the garden club members create the 700,000 blossom masterpiece. In just four hours, workers transform an enormous piece of plastic tarp into a replica of a Savonnerie carpet.David and I stopped back by on our way home from Amsterdam to see the finished product. The viewing balcony was closing down so I climbed up on a railing at the end of the Grand Place to take these pictures. It took me a while to get down...people kept handing me their cameras!

2 comments:

T-bit said...

Absolutely Amazing...so jealous! Miss you...did Sarah get you the message about the waffle maker? So you and Dave making Amsterdam a normal stop? Good thing I dont' have to worry about you two!

rachel b said...

BETH!!! I never realized that you had a link right on Terin's blog!!! Seeing the kids on the 1st day of school made me tear up a little. I misss you guys, but it looks like you're having an amazing time! I loved your comment about rummaging through old crap
(you said it much more eloquently,) but I'm right there with ya! The flower carpet...amazing, and you and Dave still love eachother; that is the best thing about it all! KIT!!!